What can we expect from Party Conference Season?
The next round of Party Conferences are almost upon us and this time the pressure is on as all the main parties are in the process of defining their manifesto policies for the 2015 General Election. The autumn conferences are a great opportunity to share some of these policies more publicly, as well as get feedback and party buy-in to them.
But what will be the focus of each of the Parties?
Given the last few years have not been easy and we are not yet fully on the road to economic recovery, at least not at the pace anticipated or hoped for, you would hope for a real focus from the main parties on the issues that matter to people. There surely has to be a focus on reducing poverty and improving living standards for all? There also needs to be much improved policies on our approach to the environment and energy – we are falling behind the rest of Europe in both policy and practice. It would also be great to see a positive and innovative approach to tackling our housing crisis, with some real commitments on providing affordable housing where it is most needed. And what about the NHS, what next for our health & social care system, will there be consensus or conflict? Will there be a focus on immigration & asylum, changing our tax system, improving education and skills – there is so much room for improvement in so many areas of policy, where do you start?
I will be looking for some pronouncements on each of the following:
- Living Wage – will we get cross party consensus about the obvious need to pay people a living wage?
- Housing Crisis – can we really hope for some clear commitment to address the housing crisis and will there be any new or innovative answers/solutions?
- Energy Policy – what will be the focus of our short, medium and long term energy policies and what will be the main areas of disagreement between the main parties?
- Infrastructure – will we see cross party support for major infrastructure schemes like HS2 or will there be a change of focus?
- The NHS – will we see policies on improved integration of our health & social care systems and an NHS fit for purpose?
I will be blogging on each of the main Party Conferences, outlining the good and the bad.
What will you be looking for and what would be your priorities?